I was rather pleased tonight with TLC’s Etreme Couponing show. Past shows have me rolling my eyes but this one I said “YEAH TLC, you did it right!”
Perry, a vegan, lives in Springfield, VA and shopped at her local Kroger. It was a great to see someone buying “healthy items” that contradicts the coupon myth that you can only buy junk food with coupons. My husband is a vegetarian and my kids eat only chicken and turkey. My 17 year old son is a
triathlete and consumes a lot of calories —- healthy calories. So, I too am always looking for great deals on items for the family and guess what… I save a ton of
money shopping for the family. Our stockpile doesn’t include bottles of mustard, hot sauce and Ramen noodles. Nope, ours consist of items that typically don’t go on sale that I had a rare coupon for or used overage to buy. I know I can get those items on sale most of the time and buy items that are “rarer finds such as:
Oils – olive, sesame, etc.
- Vinegars – name one, I bet we have a bottle or two
- Coconut milk – we love Thai and Indian dishes
- Spices – mmmm, I think we have every spice known to man kind and then a few spare
- Chipotles – yep, a staple in our home. Chipotles goes in A LOT of our dishes – butter, baked beans… you name it, we’ll try it with chipotles!
- Rice – Jasmine, Aborio, brown, etc.
- Dried beans – pinto, black, split peas, lentils (all types), and more
And our normal sale items that I do stockpile because we consume a lot of:
- Pasta – yep, guilty…
- Cereal – yep, guilty…
- Dog and cat food – we have “a few pets”
- Brownie mixes – guilty pleasure
And then there was Melissa who bought items to donate to the Ronald McDonald House. Love it! I think it is absolutely wonderful that she spent her time to collect and plan a shopping trip to help others. We try to do this as much as possible. Whenever there is a great coupon out there I will obtain multiples to benefit from and donate items in bulk.
Way to go TLC – two great segments. Now how about a “this is how I do it” rather than “this is what you can do” special show?